Monday, April 30, 2007

The answer is NO, Gwendolyn. NO NO NO

I am having a very hard time accepting "no" as the answer in regards to this story I'm writing.

I wrote a rough draft months ago. I started reading Robert Olin Butler's book on fiction writing. There was an example he gave about writing technique that stuck with me. I went back to the story with a keener eye and rewriting the story, it became more emotional.

Okay, cool. But, then, I read the Asimov's magazine I had at the time and decided that making the story a science fiction piece would make it more unique.

I've mentioned that I wanted it to be along the lines of "Brave New World" and it would have had this shadow of "The Scarlett Letter."

I've also mentioned when I spoke to this man who runs a group for fathers of children with disabilities (for another story) that I realized that a sci-fi approach was not going to work.

So back to the story as a literary piece.

Then I met this guy who's going to school here and we got to talking about college; he's majoring in journalism and creative writing.

Hey! I've got a degree in journalism and I'm a creative writer!

What kind of stuff do you write, I asked.

Science fiction, he tells me.

Okay, he's cute but I'm suddenly in love with him for another reason.

I decide to entice him with the possibility of a major publication credit.

I've got this story I want to send to Asimov's. You want to collaborate with me?

He listens to my story and what the rules are of the world the main character lives in and then he starts giving me ideas and angles, all of which are interesting, none of which develop the story the way I want it to work.

Plus he brings up a factor I didn't consider which is a HUGE hurdle I'd have to jump in order to maintain credibility.

So the answer is no.

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

I know I should let the story be what is is; it's just that I've gotten attached to making this particular work "be about this" and that's not a good thing.

No agendas when it comes to one's art/work. If it can't be true and honest, then what's the point? And if I'm struggling trying to make this story be something it isn't, maybe the problem isn't with the writing, but the writer.

No comments: